Dogwise John Fisher Essay Scholarship
About the Scholarship
This scholarship honors both John Fisher and the work of writers whom we think he would have enjoyed reading.
In the introduction to Think Dog! John wrote:
"If we can understand more about dogs, what motivates them, what their values are, how they learn and why they do what they do, then this greater understanding will help us to form a more enjoyable relationship with them."
The judges are looking for articles that discuss new and innovative ideas in dog training. The central theme of the essay should be new ways to communicate with dogs to enhance the training process and the dog/human relationship. Please note, we are not looking for essays focused on rehabilitating dogs or personal journey themes.
NOTE: Contestants must be active members of APDT at the time of submission and at the time of the awarding of the scholarship.
Requirements for Entry
- One submission per person per year
- Submission should be single-spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins
- Each page should include a header with page number and title only.
- Submission should be 2 – 3 pages plus a title page.
- Title page should consist of
- Title of paper
- Name of author
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Mailing address
- We must receive the document as a Word file. Please no PDFs.
Methods for Submitting Your Application
All award applications must be submitted in electronic format. You may send your submission for The Dogwise John Fisher Essay Scholarship by e-mail to: email@example.com
Any article received after the deadline date will not be eligible for the award.
Judging: The Awards Committee will evaluate all submissions using the following criteria:
- Did it meet the requirements as stated above?
- Rate of the educational value to APDT members.
- Rate of the enjoyment value. Was the article interesting?
- Rate of the author's writing skill. Are the grammar, usage, and spelling correct?
- Rate of the author's writing clarity. Is it easy to read and understand?
The Association of Pet Dog Trainers offers this exceptional opportunity for one winner thanks to the generosity of Dogwise. The deadline for entry is May 1, 2012.
The winner will receive up to $1,500 to go toward travel, meals and hotel and free admission to the APDT Educational Conference. The winner will receive recognition and a certificate. The deadline for entry is May 1, 2012.