2013 Conference Poster Session
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
19th Annual Educational Conference
October 23 – 27, 2013
The Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) and the APDT Foundation is inviting submissions for poster presentation proposals from the academic (faculty, students, and researchers) and professional (dog trainers, shelter staff, veterinary staff, etc.) communities for the APDT Annual Conference scheduled in Spokane, WA, October 23-27, 2013. Research posters should highlight research in topics relevant to dog behavior and training including preliminary results, completed studies, summaries of relevant published research (for which you are the author), and position papers. The aim of the poster session is to facilitate dissemination of research results to the broader community of dog training practitioners. Example topics of interest include (but are not limited to) behavioral studies, effectiveness studies (i.e., training protocols, training curricula, shelter management protocols, etc.), and business case studies.
The APDT produces the premiere dog training and behavior conference in the United States. APDT membership is over 6,000 members worldwide and consists of dog trainers, animal behaviorists, world-renowned speakers/authors, veterinarians, veterinary technicians, shelter personnel, and service dog trainers. Typical conference attendance approximately 1000 or more. APDT members are committed to becoming better trainers through education and the annual conference is certified to provide continuing education credits to certified dog trainers, veterinarians, veterinary technicians, animal welfare administrators, and animal behavior consultants. For more information on the conference program please visit our web site at www.apdt.com/conf.
Selection of accepted posters will be determined by evaluations from three members of the program committee (to be announced), including leaders from a diverse set of dog training disciplines. Reviewers will be selected based on expertise relevant to the submission and feedback will be given to those submitting works. To submit an abstract for consideration, please e-mail an abstract to poster@APDT.com by July 31, 2013. Following our selection process, invitation letters will be sent out electronically by September 13, 2013.
Selected presenters will be expected to present a formal presentation during the Poster Session on October 26, 2014, between 1:30 and 3:00pm and be available during the conference Poster Display's on October 26, 2013 to discuss their research with the conference attendees. APDT will provide the presenters with necessary display equipment (please see the next page for detailed poster requirements). Presenters will also be filmed for a two-five minute video to be combined into an eLearning program for the APDT Foundation and APDT websites to present their research.
Three Presenter Scholarships Will Be Awarded!
The Principal Investigator for each poster accepted will receive free registration for the full conference. Three awards will be offered for first ($750), second ($500) and third ($250) place poster.
Spokane Convention Center
Poster Abstract Submissions
|July 31, 2013|
Acceptance and Official Invitation Letter
|September 13, 2013|
Poster Presentations and Display Date
|October 26, 2013|
Abstract Submission and Contact
Poster Session Details and Requirements
- A full conference registration for the Principal Investigator only of the research project to the APDT Annual Conference on October 23-27. 2013.
- An opportunity to make a formal presentation during the official Poster Session.
- An opportunity to discuss your research with leaders in the canine behavior and training industry during the Poster Display.
- An opportunity to receive one of three awards for best posters.
- An opportunity to be featured in a two-five minute video explaining your research to be combined into an eLearning program on the APDT Foundation and APDT websites.
- Submit your poster abstract by July 31, 2013 to poster@APDT.com.
- Selection and formal invitation letters will be send out by September 13, 2013
- Registration to the Annual Conference by the Principal Investigator is required. The Principal Investigator will be sent a registration form with the invitation letter. To waive the registration fee the author must indicate "Poster Session Participant" in the special billing area on the registration form.
Abstract Submission Requirements:
- Create your abstract in Microsoft Word.
- Use bold size 14 Arial for the abstract title and all author's names.
- Use size 12 Arial for the abstract text.
- The body of the abstract may not exceed 2000 characters in length.
- Submit your abstract as a Word document with the file extension ".doc" (Word 2003 compatible)
- In the body of the e-mail include:
The presenting author(s) name, position, and institution.
Presenting authors should indicate if they are current members of APDT.
E-mail abstracts as an attachment to: poster@APDT.com
- The author will use one 40"x60" foam poster board(s) provided by APDT.
- The poster(s) will be displayed on easels and can be either horizontal or vertical.
- The top of each poster is the title area which includes: Research Title, Author(s), and institution.
- A business card holder can be attached to the poster, no tables will be provided.
- Adhesive materials, foam boards and a workspace will be available for assembling posters in the APDT Conference staff office.
Travel, Lodging and Conference Registration:
- Poster participation includes complimentary conference registration for the full conference for the Principal Investigator but does not include transportation, lodging or other travel costs. Fees for spouses and guests of the author are not waived.
Poster Session Presentation:
- Formal presentation of your poster and research project will be scheduled on Saturday, October 26 between 1:30 and 3:30pm.
- Authors should arrive in time to assemble their posters for display before the formal presentation time as the display time immediately follows the presentations.
- Posters will be displayed at the Conference Poster Display Area. Authors are expected to be available to discuss their posters with the conference attendees during the following periods: Friday October 25 between 11:30am – 1:30pm and 5:00pm – 6:30pm.
- After the conference posters are the responsibility of the author or they will be discarded.
Need Help With Poster Preparation?
Visit the following site http://colinpurrington.com/tips/academic/posterdesign for lots of greats tips and links to other poster resource sites.