Picking the Right Size Crate
Use can use the chart below to help give you an idea of what size crate to buy for your dog.
*The sizing recommendations and breed examples listed below are manufacturer standards, intended to give very general idea. Please size according to the size of YOUR dog.
|Crate Size||Approximate Weight of the Dog||Example of Appropriate Breeds|
|18"x18" or 18"x24"||Under 24 lbsUnder 30 lbs||Chihuahua|
|24"x18" or 24"x24"||Under 30 lbsUnder 38 lbs||Affenpinscher, Cairn Terrier, Havanese, Japanese Chin, Maltese, Norfolk Terrier, Pekingese, Pomeranian, Scottish Terrier, Shih Tzu, Skye Terrier, Silky Terrier, Toy Poodle, Toy Fox Terrier, West Highland White Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier|
|24"x30" or 24"x36"||Under 40 lbsUnder 40 lbs||Cocker Spaniel, Australian Terrier, Basset Hound, Bichon Frise, Boston Terrier, French Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Dachshund, Italian Greyhound, Jack Russell Terrier, Lhasa Apso, Poodle, Schnauzer, Parson Russell Terrier, Wirehaired Fox Terrier|
30"x30" or 30"x36"
40-50 lbs50-60 lbs
|American Eskimo Dog, American Staffordshire Terrier, Basenji, Beagle, Brittany Spaniel, Chinese Sharpei, Chow Chow, German Pinscher, Irish Terrier, Keeshond, Kerry Blue Terrier|
36"x30" or 36"x36"
50-60 lbs60-80 lbs
|American Pit Bull Terrier, Australian Cattle Dog, Border Collie, Bull Terrier, Dalmatian, Old English Sheepdog|
|42"x30" or 42"x36"||80-100 lbs80-100 lbs||Airedale Terrier, Alaskan Malamute, American Bulldog, Boxer, Briard, Malinois, Tervueren|
|48"x24" or 48"x30"||80-90 lbs80-100 lbs||Airedale Terrier, Alaskan Malamute, Boxer, Briard, Dalmatian, Malinois, Tervueren|
|48"x36"||Up to 100 lbs||Afghan, Akita, Bloodhound, Borzoi, Chinook, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Gordon Setter, Greyhound, Irish Setter, Leonberger, Neopolitan Mastiff, Newfoundland, Pointer, Rottweiler, Siberian Husky, Standard Poodle, Weimaraner|
|60"x36" or 72"x36"||100-150 lbs150-180 lbs||Akita, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bullmastiff, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Irish Wolfhound, Leonberger, Mastiff, Newfoundland, Scottish Deerhound, Siberian Husky|
- How to Choose a Trainer Main Page
- Understanding Training Methods
- Why do Trainers Use Food When Training?
- What Do All Those Letters After Everyone's Names Mean?
- An Explanation of APDT Membership Levels
- What are Some of the Common Myths About Dog Training?
- Can I Train My Dog Just Like They Do On TV?
- How to Use the APDT Trainer Search Directory
- What to Expect When Working with a Trainer or Attending a Group Class
- Understanding Training Equipment Options - Collars, Leashes and Crates
- Dominance and Dog Training
- Dominance Myths and Dog Training Realities