How to Choose a Dog Trainer
Dog training has rapidly evolved over the past few decades and it can be confusing for a dog owner new to training to figure out how to hire a dog trainer. The following section is designed to discuss the various methodologies found in dog training today and provide you with information on how to make an informed decision. We strongly encourage you to read through this section before you use our Trainer Search directory to find a trainer near you.
We have prepared the following sections to help you in the important task of choosing a dog trainer or behavior consultant for your pet. Please review all of them before you proceed to using the APDT Trainer Search Directory:
- Tips on How to Choose a Trainer
- Understanding Training Methods
- Why do Trainers Use Food When Training?
- What Do All Those Letters After Everyone's Names Mean?
- An Explanation of APDT Membership Levels
- What are Some of the Common Myths About Dog Training?
- Can I Train My Dog Just Like They Do On TV?
- How to Use the APDT Trainer Search Directory
- What to Expect When Working with a Trainer or Attending a Group Class
- Understanding Training Equipment Options - Collars, Leashes and Crates
- Dominance and Dog Training
- Dominance Myths and Dog Training Realities