Handouts and Articles for Veterinary Clinic Staff and for Pet Owners
We have listed below some PDF handouts and various articles that you can give to clients, as well as some informational handouts of interest to veterinarians, veterinary technicians and other practice staff. Many of these are taken from our magazine, The APDT Chronicle of the Dog. In addition, there are links to pages in the Pet Owner Resource Section where you can find additional downloadable handouts that may be of use to you in your clinic.
Downloads for Clients
- Crate Training
- Recommended Book & DVD List
- Pet Owner Resource Section - Handouts on Safety Tips for Dog Owners (i.e. weather, holidays, outdoor dangers, and more)
- Pet Owner Resource Section - Choosing a Dog (Various handouts on topics to consider if a client is looking to add a dog to their household)
- Pet Owner Resource Section - Six Important Phone Numbers Every Pet Owner Should Know
- Pet Owner Resource Section - A brief explanation on the importance of socialization
- Pet Owner Resource Section -Disaster Preparedness for Your Dog
- Tips for Breeders for Raising Behaviorally Healthy Puppies
Downloads for Veterinarians and Veterinary Technicians
Medical Causes and Treatment of Behavior, Temperament, and Training Problems by Dr. Nicholas Dodman (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Mar/Apr 2010)
The Tellington TTouch Method: Body Wraps for Calming, Focusing and Anxiety by Jenn Merritt, CPDT-KA (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Mar/Apr 2010)
Preparing Dogs for Body Work: Methods for Collaboration with Healthcare Professionals by Ashley Foster, BS, CPDT-KA and Sasha Foser, MSPT, CCRT (Cand.) (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Mar/Apr 2010)
Farewell to Fido: Helping Children When Their Companion Dog Dies by Rise VanFleet, PhD (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Jul/Aug 2010)
- What is a Veterinary Behavior Technician? by Kristen White, CVT (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, May/Jun 2009)
- Dominance Vs. Unruly Behavior by Sophia Yin DVM (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Mar/Apr 2009)
- Medical Evaluation of the Behavior Patient by Lore I. Haug, DVM, MS, DACVB (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Mar/Apr 2007)
- Striving for Puppy Wellness: Are Early Socialization and Infectious Disease Prevention Incompatible? by Jennifer Messer, BA Psych (Hons), DVM (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Nov/Dec 2006)
- The Veterinarian's Role in Puppy Development by Lore I. Haug, DVM, MS, DACVB (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Jan/Feb 2005)
- The Old Fears of Puppy Socialization: Let it Go! by Pia Silvani, CPDT-KA (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Jan/Feb 2005)
- Fear and Aggression in the Veterinary Exam Room by Valerie Barrette (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Jan/Feb 2001)
- Fear and Aggression in the Veterinary Waiting Room by Valerie Barrette (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, Nov/Dec 2000)
- Desensitization/Counterconditioning for Veterinary Visits by Lore I. Haug, DVM, MS, DACVB (The APDT Chronicle of the Dog, May/Jun 2000)
- Dr. R.K. Anderson's Letter to Veterinarians on Socialization
- Dr. Ian Dunbar’s Dog Bite Scale
- Dr. Ian Dunbar’s Dog Fight/Bite Ratio
- How to Choose a Trainer Main Page
- Understanding Training Methods
- Why do Trainers Use Food When Training?
- What Do All Those Letters After Everyone's Names Mean?
- An Explanation of APDT Membership Levels
- What are Some of the Common Myths About Dog Training?
- Can I Train My Dog Just Like They Do On TV?
- How to Use the APDT Trainer Search Directory
- What to Expect When Working with a Trainer or Attending a Group Class
- Understanding Training Equipment Options - Collars, Leashes and Crates
- Dominance and Dog Training
- Dominance Myths and Dog Training Realities