Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign on to the Barkboard?
Go to www.apdtbarkboard.com to register. You will need to enter a:
- user name
- signature - be sure to put your real name in the signature line; this is required and your application will not be approved until your signature is complete.
NOTE: In order to access the BarkBoard registration area located at www.apdtbarkboard.com, you will be prompted to sign in to the APDT Members Area of the web site. You will see the green login screen where you will need to enter your APDT Member Number and web site password. Only active APDT Members in good standing will be authorized to access the BarkBoard.
If you are having trouble getting onto the Barkboard, please read!
If you are having trouble getting onto the BarkBoard and you have already registered with a user name and password, you may not be logged in correctly. We are finding that many members are not logging in. You are able to see posts when not logged in which may be part of the confusion. If you see "Welcome Guest" toward the top left of the screen, this means you are NOT logged in. You must click on "Log In" and enter your Barkboard user name and password. There is a "Remember Me" box that you can check that will keep you logged in in the future so you will not have to do this step.
If you are still having trouble with the BarkBoard, PLEASE email the APDT Office at email@example.com. We want to do everything we can to make this a fun and helpful member benefit but we need members to let us know when they are having a problem with the board in order for us to work with our web development company to fix any problems that arrive.
In order to assist you with learning how to register with the Barkboard and login and post, we have put together the following short training videos:
- How to register for the first time
- How to login once you have been registered and activated, post to a forum, and upload a file
- How to "quote" in a reply post
- How to send a private message and/or an email to a poster
- How to add an avatar and photo to your profile
- How to subscribe to a forum
How do I post messages?
Pick the appropriate forum for your message and you may either click:
- “Add Topic” to start a new thread,
- or click “Add Reply” to reply to a topic that is already established.
- Click on "Quote" if you wish to include the text from the post you are replying to in your message.
How do you add an Avatar?
In order to add an Avatar, you simply visit your Control Panel and click on the link that says "Edit Avatar". From there, you will see an area to upload an image that you may use as your Avatar.
How do I add a picture to my profile?
- Go to the "Control Panel" tab at the top, right of the page,
- Scroll down the page to the third box on the left, called "Your Profile"
- Choose the "Edit Avatar" option
- From there you can link to a photo or avatar online, or upload one from your files. This is the photo which will appear next to your posts.
- You can also choose "Edit Personal Photo" to add another photo to your personal profile.
How do I edit my signature?
Once you have created your signature upon registering with the Barkboard, you cannot change it. If you would like to have modifications made to your signature, contact the Barkboard moderator and we can make these changes for you..
When I hit enter, my cursor moves two spaces down the page. How do I make it move just one space?
- Hit Shift-Enter and the cursor will just move one line.
How come when I preview my message my signature does not appear?
This is because the signature is autogenerated at the time the post is formatted live. This is an architectural design of the software.
Is there a way to post general PDF, Word or image files to the Barkboard?
Yes, when you are writing a post, scroll down underneath the post entry screen and you will see an "Edit Attachment" icon toward the right of the screen. Click on this and follow the instructions to upload a file.
Is there a way I can have messages emailed to me?
You cannot have messaegs emailed to you, however you can subscribe to a topic or forum in order to be notified when new messages have been posted. Click on the "Forum Options" or "Topic Options" button that can be found on the top right brown header bar of a topic or forum. Click on the drop-down menu option to have notifications emailed to you.
If I want to post to an already established topic and accidentally create a new topic, how do I move it?
At the present time, only moderators may move topics around. Please contact the BarkBoard moderator to request assistance.
Once Barkboard is launched, will the Yahoo APDTList be moved to it? Or remain separate?
The APDT Yahoo groups list will remain active and accessible as you normally use it for a period of at least one year following the launch date of the BarkBoard. The current postings and topics that you see in the APDT Yahoo groups list will not be automatically migrated to the BarkBoard. The BarkBoard is a new and separate member benefits/resource that will begin to accumulate and collect topics over time. The APDT Yahoo groups list archives will always remain available should an APDT member ever wish to return to the old APDT Yahoo groups list and search for a particular e-mail discussion on a particular subject.